08 April 2015

Searching

Oh, job searching.  Such an adventure.

I had an interview the other day that just happened to be right next to a murder two nights before. I mean, it was nearly on their doorstep. So, that was cozy.  The interview location was described as "in the basement" and smelled like a second-hand shop.

For the past almost month, there has been a job ad that looks like this:

Office Admin - local Ag company
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec odio. Quisque volutpat mattis eros. Nullam malesuada erat ut turpis. Suspendisse urna nibh, viverra non, semper suscipit, posuere a, pede. Donec nec justo eget felis facilisis fermentum. Aliquam porttitor mauris sit amet orci. Aenean dignissim pellentesque felis. High School Diploma Public Fundraising

I can tell that I don't want the job, even if I couldn't tell if I was qualified because: LATIN.  At least, I'm guessing Latin. I'm all for creativity but c'mon now.

I dislike how slow this process is.  I had a pre-interview via email last week but they said that they weren't quite ready to start the process yet. It's a mystery why they posted the ad or responded. I had another interview that was the first of four steps. I'm all for being thorough but such time wasted.

Another job that I made it to the final round but didn't get has now been reposted.  I briefly thought of resubmitting my name but thought better of it.  There was a reason I didn't get it.  Also, I've noticed that they're hiring a lot, which shows me issues within the organization and not just growth.

I'm trying to find part-time work but am having difficulties.  Part-time seems to translate to only entry-level, menial jobs.  Whoever it is that said people are having to take part-time jobs because that's all that is available clearly doesn't live in Washington State.

Also, if I hear I'm over-qualified one more time, I'm not responsible for my actions.  Yes, you're getting more than you're asking for, explain to me how is that a bad thing?  It's similar to when you don't have experience and are being told that you need it.  Let's think this process through a little bit, people.

Although this sounds ranty, I'm not feeling bitter about the process.  I do need to be employed soon but I'm not panicky about it yet. 

And it's not like I'm asking for the moon here.  I would like part-time, flexible, low-key, non-profit work or a job that interests me so much that makes full-time worthwhile.  Okay, Universe? Do we understand each other now? 




2 comments:

Chrissy Coonradt said...

The lorem ipsum is scrambled Latin text from a famous poem or speech or something by Cicero. It is used as filler text in document templates. So- someone wasn't paying enough attention to delete it before submitting the job posting. Best of luck finding a job!

Surely said...

Thank you, Chrissy!! Mystery solved! I appreciate you letting me know because Google was all "I got nothing, man." :)