13 August 2014

Cannot Solve for X

Stupid math.  Or, rather, stupid brain that doesn't accept/understand/retain math information.

The one thing that is keeping me, twice now, from getting a para-educator certificate is MATH.

To quote Charlie Brown: "AAAAARRRRGGGHHH"

On a practice test, I missed the requirement level by ONE POINT.  I reviewed the questions that I missed and one of the math questions was incorrect because of doggone dyslexia.  I answered 3/2 instead of 2/3.

I do okay with basic math concepts and geometry but BOOOOO on doggone algebra.  When I was in high school I muddled through Algebra with probably a C- or D grade.  Three math classes were required to graduate so I had to take Trigonometry.  I failed, woo boy, did I fail.  I actually bribed my way into getting a D- instead. The conversation went something like this:
"You know I'd have to take this class with you again, right? Until I pass." I said. 
"You'll pass. By one point, you'll pass" he said.  Then he said "You need to promise to never take another algebra class ever again.  You're not wired for it." 
"Oh, DEAL. Never again."

I can write you anything from a thank you note to a reference letter to a novel.  But don't ask me to do algebra, like, ever. 

I can read the instructions and concepts. There are cheat sheets online that I've reviewed.  I can understand those but the moment that letters and numbers begin intermingling: I'm out.  The minute that I have to figure out what goes where, there's a fifty percent (ha! math concept!) chance that I'll misread it. So. Frustrating.

Especially frustrating as I want the para-educator certificate for the younger grades with no intention of needing to use higher concept math skills.  But, the test requires it so *shrug*.

So, if you need me, I will be studying Math for Dummies and hoping that guessing through the algebra portion of the test will be good enough. 



1 comment:

Gigi said...

I get it. OH, do I get it! Math isn't for everyone. In fact, I think the only way I graduated high school was because the math teacher felt sorry for me.